28 November 2011
A Guide to the Amalfi Coast
For those of you that have ticked off the stunning French and Italian rivieras as destinations for your superyacht charters and are now looking for a new European cruising ground, the Amalfi Coast awaits.
Situated towards the bottom of the ‘boot’ of Italy, on the west coast, lies the magnificent region known as the Amalfi coast. Dotted with enchanting towns and harbours, picturesque beaches and plenty of Italian charm this stretch of coastline is a favourite for many. Approximately a day’s sail from Naples, the Amalfi coastline stretches over an area of 50 kilometres from Sorrento in the north, to Salerno, in the south. Here you will find many charming towns which have been built high up on steep cliffs. Amongst the most popular resorts to visit on any Italy yacht charter are:
- Amalfi, which is famous for its 6th century Duomo. The cathedral is a fascinating blend of culture and architecture besides which stands the Cloister of Paradise, which was built in Arabian style in the 13th century. The town is a wonderful place to pause on your superyacht charters travel
- Positano, which has for centuries attracted artists for around the world. The charming seaside resort is surrounded by wonderful beaches, the caves of La Porta and boasts some delightful boutiques. It has enjoyed a renaissance in popularity since ‘The Talented Mr Ripley’, starring Matt Damon and Gwyneth Paltrow, was filmed there.
- Ravello is a stunning town perched on the top of a cliff. Less sophisticated than other towns on the Amalfi Coast, it is a wonderful place to wander around and soak up the Italian atmosphere.
- Praiano is an ancient fishing village that has over the years become one of the most prestigious seaside resorts along this stretch of coastline. A visit to this picturesque port is a must during your Italy yacht charter.
- Capri is an island which lies off the Amalfi coast. The tiny island is a wonderful stop-over for many superyacht charters and a visit to the town of Capri is highly recommended.